Please note the library loan dates arranged to take account of the upcoming Christmas Vacation and University Closed periods. Any item can be reserved by another user placing a hold at any time during the vacation which will stop you extending the loan period beyond the original due date.
28-day loan items
- Items borrowed from Friday 16 November to Wednesday 12 December will be due for return or renewal on or before 9 January 2013
- Items borrowed (or renewed) from Thursday 13 December and after will be due for return or renewal 28-days later as normal.
7-day loan items
- Items borrowed from Friday 7 December until Wednesday 2 January 2013 will be due for return or renewal on or before 9 January
- Items borrowed (or renewed) from 3 January 2013 and after will be due for return or renewal 7 days later as normal.
User holds on any item(s) will not let you extend the current due date
If you are planning to take books on vacation with you, it is very important that you review your loan return dates before you leave campus so you know when the books will need to return to the University. When leaving campus, you should not assume that all your books can be successfully renewed to extend the loan after the vacation.
If you are unsure about the loan dates for your books, refer to your Self-Issue receipt, the date stamped inside the book or your online borrower record. Alternatively, please contact Issue Desk staff via +44(0)1225 385000 or email the Ask a Librarian service for advice. You can review your due dates and try to renew your loans online throughout the Christmas and New Year vacation period.
It will help you to reduce the level of any fines you have already accrued on your borrower account before you leave campus. If your account becomes blocked because you have total bills of £10 or more, you will not be able to renew loans online or borrow books using the Self-Issue machines during any unstaffed periods at Christmas and New Year.
If you have any concerns at all that you may not be able to return or successfully renew loans in time after the Christmas vacation, the best advice would be to avoid fines by not taking the items away with you.
- Photocopy the relevant chapter/article or up to 5% of the printed items you need to use.
- Check if there is an e-book version of the title you are looking for OR search for related e-books or e-journals that you can access online.
- Use local public library and UK higher education libraries in your home area – please ask library staff if the SCONUL Access scheme would be helpful to you.