Updated May 4 2020
With additional measures in place to prevent the spread of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), the Library building is now closed. The following Library services are available remotely:
- The Library building is now closed to Library users.
- There are now a small number of PCs available in the foyer of the Library for those students who may not have computer access otherwise. These are spaced well apart, in line with government advice. There will also be two multi-functional printers available in this area. You must sanitise your hands before using a computer in this area.
- You can contact the Library online; please use our Ask a Librarian web form or email firstname.lastname@example.org – we already run a service through TopDesk which is accessible to all Library staff on campus or remotely
Borrowing and returning books
- Return dates on books will be extended until such time as the Library can re-open or provide the means to return them. The capability to reserve physical books has been removed, to prevent concerns or difficulties in returning books or collecting them
- Periodic emails sent from the system to individual borrowers will also include reminders of the changes
- While measures are in place to prevent the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) you will not be required to return any loan to the Library and you will not be charged any late or lost item fees.
- If you have any queries about bringing books back please contact the Library Issue Desk at email@example.com
- Library card expiry dates have been extended, to remove the need for new cards before the summer. This period can be extended later if necessary
- Returning students or students going on placement have already had their library membership extended to the course end date shown on SAMIS.
- Any requests for new or replacement library cards will be made by request to firstname.lastname@example.org Library cards are not required for access to electronic library resources. Costs for new or replacement cards will be waived
Inter-Library Loans and Bath Copies
- We cannot supply physical Inter-Library Loans but we will continue to provide electronic document delivery
- Requests for Inter Library Loans are already submitted only electronically via our request form
- The Bath Copies Service has been suspended; we currently cannot supply scanned content from our print stock
Ordering new materials for Library stock
- We will prioritise ordering of electronic formats of requested materials, e.g. books or journals, to ensure equity of provision and delivery. Orders for new items can still be requested by staff or students, by email to email@example.com
Copy and Print
- Most Library photocopy/print machines are currently inaccessible whilst the building remains closed. However, there are two multi-functional printers available in the foyer. Please maintain a safe social distance of at least 2 metres
- Payment accounts for copy/print are now online only and we will provide prominent links to the instructions on how to do this
- A small number of PCs are available in the foyer of the Library for those students who may not have computer access otherwise. These are spaced well apart, in line with government advice. Please sanitise your hands before using a computer in this area
Online Library resources
- The Library’s online resources for all Departments/the School, including guidance, information literacy support, tutorials and the exam papers database etc, are linked from the Library’s Resources for your subject pages. These pages are available via the Library homepage
- Research Services support is available online
- How to access Library resources from home (off-campus)
Scanning Service for Academics
- The Library building may be closed, but the Library Scanning Service for Academics continues to operate. Academic staff may submit digitisation requests for course readings through our web form
- Temporary relaxation of the HEI Copyright Licence during COVID-19
Information covering all of the above will be linked from our Library homepage, and plasma screens in the building. Staff doors and service points will display notices advising enquirers to contact staff via firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and updates: the University’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice is available online.