The following information will help you to get ready for reopening of the Library’s upper floors on Thursday 24 September 2020. Our current staff and students will regain access to these subject floors in addition to the recently reopened Level 2. The following services, facilities and resources will become available from Thursday:
- Direct access to the Library’s physical collections on the shelves. Search and browse for books on Levels 3-5, bring them to Level 2 and borrow them using the self-issue machines (or photocopy and scan from them using the multifunction devices provided). Continue to return books to us via the book slots next to the self-issue machines. Books can also be returned via the book drop at the Virgil Building during its opening hours
- Over the summer whilst the upper floors were closed we ran a click and collect service facilitating staff and student access to over 1100 books. From Thursday 24 September, you can collect the books you want from the shelves. As a result of this, the reservations system will return to normal; if the book you want is on loan, you will be able to reserve it using the Library catalogue and collect it when it’s ready from dedicated shelving on Library Level 2
- From Thursday 24 September, study spaces in the Library Levels 2-5 must be booked online. This is important so that only a safe number of people are in one area at a time. All the spaces are socially distanced and for individual study only
- You will be able to book up to a 4 hour slot in study spaces and a max of 8 hours a week, up to 7 days in advance, by following the link at: go.bath.ac.uk/study-spaces
- The areas at the front of Levels 3-5 are timetabled for teaching during semester, Monday to Friday, 8am to 7:15pm, but are bookable at other times. Other University study spaces on and off campus will also be made available for bookings
- Finally, with Level 4 reopening, our Archive and Research Collections will become accessible by appointment
To keep everyone safe please:
- Wear a face covering whilst in the Library unless you have an exemption
- Use the hand sanitiser at the Library entrance/exit
- Avoid touching the entry gates – Library card access is contactless
- Observe the social distancing measures in place to help you navigate the Library safely and keep 2m apart
- Signage will guide you to one-way systems around the building. The West staircase is designated for going ‘up’ only and the East and North for going ‘down’ only
- The public lift is for use only by staff and students with a disability or mobility impairment, one person at a time. Please use the stairs if you can!
- Only access the upper floors if you have a study space booking, need to borrow print books, or have timetabled teaching. Level 1 will not currently be reopening due to insurmountable obstacles to doing so safely
- As usual, only keep cups, thermoses, bottled and lidded drinks are allowed in the main Library spaces. Disposable cups are not permitted in support of the University’s environmental initiatives and ‘leave no trace’ campaign to reduce waste
- Food is allowed in the teaching areas at the front of the upper floors during timetabled teaching only. You can also use the snack area to the right of the University Reception & Security Desk.
For everyone’s safety, we’ve moved some of our staffed services online. Friendly Library staff are on hand online to answer all of your queries – from the simple to the complex. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the ‘Ask a Librarian’ service on the Library homepage.